Melina Guzman married Oscar Guzman about a year ago and moved to the US in the process. She tries to improve her English skills, but it's still not great, and significant communication with her is only possible through Oscar.
- Note: Melina and Oscar Guzman will die if they are not recruited before Day 29 (May 20th).
Melina Guzman can be found in a pharmacy in "Downtown San Saba, northeast of Splendid (on Route 190), together with her husband, Oscar Guzman. You must have either a Medical skill of at least 4, a Negotiation skill of at least 3, or Renee Cass in the party to recruit them.
- NOTE: Melina is Infected when you first meet her, and will require antibiotics consistently (same as any Infected individual).
- When Melina is first taken to the Shelter, she'll be recovering, and thus unavailable for the first three days she's there. When she wakes, she thanks you for your help, and Oscar promises they'll do whatever they can to earn her antibiotics.
- At a week in the Shelter, Melina will come to you and say she has bad cramps, and is in pain. You can tell her to suck it up and work, which gives a Mood penalty to both of them, or allow her to have the day off (small Mood boost for both).
- At nearly the second month, if Todd is in the Shelter, Melina will ask for a moment of your time. You can wave her off (Mood penalty) or listen to what she has to say. Apparently, Todd has been repeatedly asking her to pray with him, not respecting the fact that she is Jewish. If you refuse to help, she'll take a Mood penalty - if you say you will, you'll be able to talk to him about it in his normal Shelter conversation.
- If Oscar dies, Melina will ask you where he is, and break down crying when you tell her what happened. Shortly afterwards, she'll ask for a funeral for him. Due to your language barrier, you can only tell her yes (-10 parts and 6 hours of her time, and a medium Mood boost) or no (Mood penalty).
- Early in the second month, if Oscar is dead, Melina will tell you today is her and Oscar's anniversary, and she's too upset to work. If you give her the day off, she'll have a medium Mood boost - if you deny her that, she'll take a large Mood penalty.
- If Oscar is killed, you will no longer be able to give Melina any special luxury items to boost her Mood.
- Coffee Beans
- See also Ally Stats.
Survivors develop their skills over time, these stats represent their starting point.
|Health||Action Points||Armor Class||Strength||Agility||Vigor||Perception||Melee||Ranged||Leadership||Negotiation||Medical||Science||Survival||Mechanical|
Melina focuses her skills on Mechanical, Science, Medical, and Negotiation at first, picking up some supplementary points in the other skills later in the game. Her stats focus on Perception, Vigor, and Agility.
- Loved One: "Melina is so in love with Oscar that her kindness touches everyone, granting a 1 Morale per day bonus."
- Below Fluency: "Melina is not yet fluent with the English language, reducing her accuracy in the field by 10%."
- Artisan: "Melina is a skilled craftswoman, and when she is in the Machinist job, she finished items 20% faster."
- Shop Talk: "This ally enjoys having a Workshop in the Shelter, and will gain a one-time mood boost after it is completed."
Due to her "Below Fluency" trait - and her low combat skills - it's wise to keep Melina out of the field (not to mention that her Infected status guarantees she'll turn if killed in combat). She spend most of her time working on projects around the Shelter with her high Mechanical score, particularly the Workshop once it's been constructed.
Melina will react negatively to killing neutral survivors.
- Age: 24
- Hometown: San Isidro, Argentina
- Sick Event: stomach flu
- Subleader Supported: Vic
- Shelter Location: First floor, outside principal's office
- Melina's visual reference is actress Lumi Cavazos (specifically from her role as "Inez" in the Wes Anderson film Bottle Rocket.)
- The message on the Memorial Wall that Oscar writes if Melina dies was originally written by Project Lead Brian Mitsoda, then translated into Spanish by Art Lead Oscar Velzi.