Paul Rainier is a former Army Ranger who was honorably discharged because of his sexual orientation due to rivalries in his unit led to him being exposed as a gay, he became an engineer traveling across the rural areas setting up cell towers over the allure of easy money as a mercenary. He and his boyfriend Raph were in Corpus Christi for business, trying to get back to their home in Colorado, until Raph fell asleep while driving and died in the following accident. Paul is a morally centered man who believe in doing the right thing, even after his experiences in the military suggested otherwise.
Paul is one of the six Subleaders at the Shelter.
Paul can be found at the random encounter "Car Accident". Don't be hostile, and he should be willing to join without issue.
- On his first day in the Shelter, Paul will evaluate your work on the place, and volunteer his advice (if you accept gladly, he'll gain Respect for you). If you counter with saying that you're in control, Paul will likely lose Respect and some Mood (unless you have a Negotiation skill of 3 or greater and choose that option). If you're willing to listen to what he has to say, he won't take any hits to his Respect level.
- Just after his second week in the Shelter, Paul will tell you he's actually been to the local area once before, and will tell you the location of a military base.
- At a month in the Shelter, Paul will thank you for taking him in to the Shelter, and will ask where his skills are best utilized. If you tell him he needs to help keep the team calm, he will pick up the "Drill Sergeant" trait; if you tell him you need a sniper, he'll pick up the "Old Instincts" trait instead.
- If you eliminate the survivors at the Summer Camp, Paul will be furious with you, and lose a fair amount of respect. If you have a Negotiation of 7 or higher, you can lie and say you acted because they were going to ambush you (gains back some respect) - if you have a Leadership skill of 5 or above, you can get him to drop the issue without further loss of respect.
- If both Lloyd and Paul are in the Shelter, about a month and a half in, they'll have an argument where Paul confronts Lloyd about his loyalties. If you take the side of either, the other one will lose respect for you - if you try to walk away, Paul will lose respect.
- Just after the second month, Paul will ask for the day off: it was his boyfriend Raph's birthday, and the depression is hitting him hard. If you refuse, he'll lose Respect and Mood - if you allow it, he'll gain both. Negotiation of 5 or more will keep him active and add the Mood boost, while Leadership of 4 or more will just keep him working. You can make an advance on him afterwards as a guy but he will politely decline.
- Paul will ask you to prepare resources for the event if the Shelter falls or an evacuation is needed which requires him to take some food from the shelter. Completing his request in full gives you +3 Respect from Paul but takes away 10 Food and 5 Morale from the shelter, with a Negotiation check, you can bargain down to 5 food and no morale loss but only +1 Respect from Paul. Denying the request rudely costs you -3 Respect while declining it politely costs you -1 respect.
- See also Ally Stats.
Survivors develop their skills over time, these stats represent their starting point.
|Health||Action Points||Armor Class||Strength||Agility||Vigor||Perception||Melee||Ranged||Leadership||Negotiation||Medical||Science||Survival||Mechanical|
Paul spreads out his skills evenly, gaining points in Leadership, Ranged, a bit in Medical, Negotiation, then a bit in Mechanical before maxing out his Ranged skill. His stats grow in Perception, Vigor, Strength, and Agility.
- Disciplined: "Paul is trained and determined - he will never Panic in battle from either Horror or Damage."
- Sub-Leader: "This person is someone who speaks with authority, and whom certain people have chosen to listen to."
- Watchman: "This ally enjoys having a Watchtower active in the Shelter, and will gain a one-time Mood boost after it is completed."
Gained Via Conversation
- Drill Sergeant: "Paul's has put his focus into being an unflappable presence in combat, resulting in a -50% reduction in Panic chance."
- Old Instincts: "Paul has drawn on his old instincts as an Army Ranger, resulting in a 15% increase in his accuracy with ranged weapons."
While his Mechanical and Medical skills aren't too shabby, Paul is absolute beast in combat, as he won't Panic (from either damage or the undead) and has impressive Ranged score. Give him a rifle and he can clear a room of zombies on his own.
Paul will react negatively to killing neutral survivors.
- Age: 36
- Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO
- Shelter Location: First floor, near main entrance
- Paul is one of the few allies who doesn't seem to get sick.
- Paul's visual reference was actor Paul Rudd.