Ryan Michaels was in the same evacuation group as Mark Corbeau and Michiru Yata and was saved by Mark together with Michiru. He was on the way to evac when he and his family, as well as everyone else in the evac group, were attacked by a horde of undead. Mark, Michiru, and Ryan were still on the bus, and were helpless to stop the bus driver from taking off and leaving the rest of the evac group to their fates.
Ryan can be found together with Mark and Michiru at a "Truck Stop" South of Splendid on Route 87. Mark will be the only one visible, and will be guarded at first, but if you're civil, he'll tell the others it's all right, and they'll come out of hiding. Mark will only agree to come with you if you agree to take all three of them in.
- At his first day in the Shelter, Ryan will volunteer to help in the field. If you try to shock or gross him out, he'll freak out and run away. If you dismiss him, he'll take a small Mood penalty and run off. If you say you'll allow him outside, he'll get a Mood boost.
- At two days in the Shelter, Ryan will ask if anyone speaks Japanese. If Doug is alive, he will try to translate, much to Michiru's disgust and Ryan will bring up teaching Michiru some English. If Doug isn't alive, Ryan will still bring up teaching Michiru some English himself. This will unlock the English Teaching job, which will last for a 300 hour duration.
- If Aimee has been in the Shelter at least six days, and Ryan is alive, the two will have a scene where Ryan - apparently trying to impress Aimee - talks about having a tattoo done. Aimee is teasing him gently, and you can choose to scold Aimee, join in on teasing Ryan, try to play peacemaker, eavesdrop on the conversation, or leave. If you join in on teasing him, Ryan will get a little upset (-2 Mood) and leave. If you scold Aimee, both will get a little upset (-2 Mood for Aimee, -3 for Ryan). Being quiet will cause the conversation to shift in a way that makes Ryan get flustered and leave (-3 Mood), while playing peacemaker will cause a small Mood bonus (+2) to both. Leaving the conversation doesn't cause a mood penalty for either person.
- At about two weeks in the Shelter, Michiru and Ryan will bring up trying to find an English to Japanese Dictionary, which will significantly speed up her lessons.
- Around four or five weeks in the Shelter, if Renee is still alive, you'll overhear Ryan talking to Renee, and his failed pickup attempt. If you're mean, he'll take a small Mood penalty and stomp off. If you boost his hopes and tell him to go after her, Renee will get annoyed and take a Mood penalty. Be understanding, and he'll walk away without his feelings being too hurt.
- If you've visited the park where his family was attacked and get the "Michaels Family Reunion" picture, you can speak to Ryan at the Shelter and show it to him. He'll gain a small Mood boost with the closure of knowing his family's fate. Two days later, Ryan will come to you, upset, and admit that he tried and failed to kill some undead at the gate, and asks you for guidance. This is a chance to either give Ryan a new Trait (+2 to Medical, Science, Mechanical, or Survival), or remove his negative one.
- If Michiru is killed, Ryan will take a massive Mood penalty and ask for a funeral for her. If you allow him the parts and the time, he'll gain a significant Mood boost. If you refuse him, he'll take a Mood penalty. If you have Negotiation of 6 or above, you can offer time instead of a coffin, which will gain a small Mood boost.
- At a month in the Shelter, Ryan will admit to you he's got asthma, and is out of medicine. If you haven't gotten Ryan his medicine within 3 days after this, Mark Corbeau will remind you and volunteer to help. If Ryan dies because you didn't get the medicine, Mark will yell at you, and take a massive Mood penalty.
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Recreation Room
- See also Ally Stats.
Survivors develop their skills over time, these stats represent their starting point.
|Health||Action Points||Armor Class||Strength||Agility||Vigor||Perception||Melee||Ranged||Leadership||Negotiation||Medical||Science||Survival||Mechanical|
Ryan puts his points into chunks, leveling up a skill to around 4 before moving on to the next: Negotiation, Medical, Ranged, Mechanical, Survival, Melee, Science, and Leadership. After that he'll put more focus into Ranged, Mechanical, Survival, and finally max out Negotiation. His stats grow in Vigor, Perception, Agility, and Strength.
- Shambling Dread: "Ryan is both furious with and scared of the undead, resulting in both a 10% penalty to hitting them and a 10% bonus to damage." (NOTE: can be removed through dialogue)
- Recreator: "This ally enjoys having a Rec Room active in the Shelter, and will gain a one-time Mood boost after it is completed."
Gained Via Conversation
- Trainee Mechanic: "Your words have inspired Ryan to study machines, earning him a +2 on his Mechanical skill."
- Trainee Medic: "Your words have inspired Ryan to study medicine, earning him a +2 on his Medical skill."
- Trainee Scientist: "Your words have inspired Ryan to study science, earning him a +2 on his Science skill."
- Trainee Survivalist: "Your words have inspired Ryan to study wilderness survival, earning him a +2 on his Survival skill."
Ryan is young, inexperienced, and frightened of the undead. However, if handled with patience and given time to grow, Ryan can handle almost any task in or out of the Shelter.
Ryan will react negatively to killing neutral survivors.
- Age: 17
- Hometown: Madison, WI
- Sick Event: drunk
- Subleader Supported: Todd
- Shelter Location: First floor, cafeteria