Shotguns are pretty much what you would expect – lots of damage for little skill at close range. Their critical chance is high, and their critical damage can be devastating. They would be a perfect weapon for closer range if not for the amount of noise they make and their long reload rates – they attract zombies when fired, and frequent reloading (for basic models) means you won’t fire fast enough to take out a group if surrounded. They are, with one exception, all two-handed. In a pinch, the shotgun can do some major damage, but over-reliance on it will have every zombie in the area heading your way.
- More common than rifles.
- Ammo is fairly common.
- Ammo is consistent for all versions of the shotgun (shells).
- Devastating at close range on undead and humans, even with little skill.
- Chance to critical can be high, depending on the skill of the shooter.
- Extremely loud.
- Maximum effective range is poor
- Longest reload time.
- Basic models hold little ammo.
- Unreliable damage outside their operating range.